Munich and I

For those of you who don't already know me, my name is Joel. I'm Malaysian and I moved to Munich just over a year ago. I work in the telecoms industry and was transferred to Munich for work.

Munich is indeed a beautiful city. There's something for everyone here. For those who enjoy nature, there are the Alps (which are not too far south), the River Isar (which runs through the city), lakes (there are six major lakes around Munich), forests, parks and so forth. For those who enjoy sports, there are many public pools, lakes to swim in, jungle tracks, cycling routes, hiking paths, jogging tracks, etc. Then there is of course, the rich history and fabulous architecture.

Munich is 851 years old this year. There are many historical buildings and monuments within and around Munich. The state of Bavaria is famous for its Castles, especially those built by King Ludwig II. Of all these castles, Neuschwanstein is the most famous. Neuschwanstein is known not only for its beauty but also the fact that it was used as the basis in designing the Disney Castle.

Munich is also regarded as one of the most expensive cities in Germany. This is definitely true in terms of property prices and rentals. Nonetheless, in comparison to other major European cities such as London, Paris, Vienna and such, real-estate in Munich is still reasonable. In other aspects such as food and shopping, I would definitely classify Munich as reasonable. I have been fortunate to rent a great apartment with an amazing view for a good price - I got it through my employer. Here's the view I was talking about.


I am by no means an expert on Munich and doubt that I will ever be one. I still get lost in conversations with locals about Munich (they talk about politicians, places and problems in Munich that I have never ever heard about). But I'm enjoying Munich and discovering a little more about it everyday.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

kit said...

keep on blogging Joel...Regards, Kit

J.J.S. said...

Will do, Kit. :-)